Sunday, November 18, 2007

Apotheosis #2

Through the coronas of fire torches on both sides of the hallway, I saw the attacker.

At first, it was only the contour that was visible. As the attacker slowly approached me, light began to shower on its body.

"Father," I exhaled in relief. "Why... the guards."

Father wore a solemn mask on his face. He approached crisply and pulled my hand as we ran down the hallway. Kiya followed behind.

I struggled to keep up with him. I never knew Father could move that fast.

"Father, where are we going?" I asked.

He turned around, pressing a finger to his lips, "Hush, Meka. I will tell you later."

I could only obey him.

We reached the Main Entrance of the palace. General Anuk was waiting, behind him were two great horses. I recognised Lilu, the horse that grew up with me.

General Anuk knelt down.

"Anuk, I place the Great Princess' safety in your hands. Go to the resting place of my Fathers. Never return, do you understand?" Father whispered in a pulsating tone.

"Yes, Pharoah."

"Father, what is happening, tell me!" I shook Father's hand, there is something serious happening and he is keeping it from me.

For the first time of my life, he looked at me with gentle eyes, ambivalence and sorrow fraught his eyes. "Meka, follow General Anuk. From now on he is your Father."

I shook my head, tears burst from my eyes, "No, Father. Your blood is in my body, not his. Father, tell me what is happening!"

"Child, time is seeping away! You must reach the west of the Nile before sunrise. Now go with General Anuk." He hands tightened on my shoulders, I felt a scant of pain.

General Anuk grabbed my hand and helped me to mount Lilu. Reluctantly, I sat still, my eyes still fixed on Father, tearing.

"Mekataten, you are no longer a daughter of mine. These gates will no longer open for you!" Father pointed at the pillars, shouting stridently. "Anuk son of Dekamun, I banish your family from the holy lands of Egypt forever!"

We rode off into the night. The last glance I stole of Father, he was leaning on a pillar helplessly. My heart was torn like shards of glass as the vista of my home was blurred by the sands.

No comments: