Monday, November 12, 2007

Apotheosis #1

My vision was blurred by the miasma of smoke, languidly reaching to the heavens from the bonfire.

Father sat beside me silently as he watched Mother's body turned into ashes. I could hear Viatra suppressed clandestine cackles, although she was sitting on the other side of Father.

Part of me wanted to leave; the other part wanted to die.

But I told myself to stay put. Tears continued to slide down from my eyes, leaving a wet trail on my cheeks.

When they started to burn Mother's body, I could feel the sweltering heat searing my skin. They are burning my Mother, they are burning another part of me.

Viatra rose from her throne and walked to me, "Meka, you should retire to your chambers, you look pale." I pushed her hand away as it touched my cheeks.

"I will stay until Mother's ashes were brought forth."

"Kiya, bring the Princess back to her chambers, she is tired."

"NO!! I said I will stay!"

Father stood up abruptly and shoved Viatra away, "Let her do as she pleases. Remember she is the Great Princess."

Viatra's face turned purple, creases formed on her forehead and she argued, "She is my daughter--"

"Ankhesenamun is my Mother. Not you," I marched forth and spit that in her face. She trembled, frightened.

I smugged.

Then a fiery sensation conquered an expanse of my left cheek. I slowly turned my head to face Viatra with her right hand frozen in mid air.

Guards surrounded Viatra and her maids, forming a human wall between us. She did not protest when they hauled her into the palace. I continue standing watching Mother, lying so still in the flames.

"Meka, should rest. I will follow the Priest to the Nile," Father laid a hand on my shoulder, "I will make sure her ashes go in peace to Osiris."

I nodded. Kiya supported my frail body as we walked back to my chambers. Father sent two guards to guide us back.

The four of us were alone in the huge hallway when suddenly both the guards fell to the ground. Kiya shivered and held me tight. When the undulating of their chests were visible, both of us exhaled in relief.

"Meka."

A voice rang through the empty hallway from behind us.

No comments: